Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 22:22:15 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        francisv@dagupan.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Maximizing throughput

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 09:02:13 +0000 (UTC), in =
sentex.lists.freebsd.questions
you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have an Intel Pro 100/S NIC on FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE -- transferring huge
>(~650MB) files to another computer is only around 1.78Mbps. The machines=
 are
>connected via a Cisco 3500XL switch at full-duplex, 100Mbps. Is there =
any
>other way to increase the throughput or is this the actual bandwidth =
limit?

Are you sure you have the ports and the NICs all in full duplex ?

Try setting the switch *manually* to 100baseTX full duplex (ie

speed 100
duplex full

on the relavant switch ports.

Then on the FreeBSD boxes

ifconfig fxp0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex

on both machines, and run your tests again.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)	=09
Sentex Communications Corp,   	=09
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers=20
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)