Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 13:21:47 -0600
From:      Bryan Albright <bryana@oss.uswest.net>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        Adam Steffes <asteffes@asteffes.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetBackup problems

On 11/09/01 at 01:05, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Nov 09), Adam Steffes said:
> > I'm trying to get a NetBackup 3.4 server running on Solaris 8 to
> > backup my FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE machines.  I have installed the compat3x
> > distribution, and copied over my /usr/openv tree from a known working
> > FreeBSD workstation.  About 5 GB into the backup, it dies with "(25)
> > cannot connect on socket" sent to the job monitor on the server.
> >
> > I'm really not sure how to go about debugging this problem.  Has
> > anyone seen this before?
>
> I've got a bunch of FreeBSD clients set up just like you, to a Solaris
> 8 server, and I don't think I've seen that.  Especially during the
> middle of a backup.  Does it maybe correspond with a tape change on the
> server?  Also check your other logs.  Create these subdirectories:
> /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/{bkbkar,bpcd,bpmount} on the client and
> /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/{bpbkar,bpbrm,bpcd,bpdbm,bprd,bpsched,bptm}
> on the server, if they don't already exist.  The netbackup
> processes will create datestamped logs in these directories if they
> exist.

According to the Troubleshooting guide, this error means that a
process timed out while trying to connect to another one.   Usually
this occurrs when the bprd or bpdbm is not running.  (On the server,
I assume).  It can also occur under heavy server or network load.

Can you get a snapshot of the server load at roughly the time this
occurs?

If it is not load related, take a look at the "All Log Entries" report
from jnbSA.  If this fails to start up, or you get the same error
(cannot connect on socket) run a "bpps -a" on the NetBackup server and
make sure the NetBackup Database Manager Daemon is running.  If not,
and you have no other NetBackup proccesses occurring, run a
bp.kill_all to shut down all processes and then restart the NetBackup
processes.  Run another bpps -a and verify that the bpdbm is running,
then try again.

As Dan also said, take a look at the logs on the server.  Specifically
the /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpbrm and
/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpdbm logs and see if you can tell what's
going on.

In my experience, my server was too loaded and I had to stop some
other processes to clear out this error.

Good luck,

Bryan

--
Bryan Albright                                            Lead IP Engineer
bryana@qwest.net                                  Qwest Internet Solutions