Date:      Wed, 05 Mar 2008 21:34:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, rink@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Comments on pmake diffs for building on Linux

In message: <20080306042443.GA71267@dragon.NUXI.org>
            "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org> writes:
: On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 01:02:17PM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <20080304174045.GB90931@dragon.NUXI.org>
: >             "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org> writes:
: > : On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 10:58:15AM +0100, Rink Springer wrote:
: > : > On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 10:17:30AM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
: > : > > Solaris lacks TAILQ_xxx stuff too, so I would prefer something like
: > : > > "bsdcompat.h" or similar.
: > : >
: > : > Seconded - "linux.h" is far too generic. I must say I like the idea
: > : > of being able to build *BSD on Linux machines!
: > :
: > : Why?  What are you going to do with it?  Presumable install it
: > : somewhere, where?
: > :
: > : Will the differences in the end result of what is built worth the risk,
: > : vs. installing VMware player and building FreeBSD on FreeBSD on Linux?
: >
: > The end result will be the ability to build FreeBSD on a Linux host.
: > VMware players aren't an option, and will not be contemplated as an
: > acceptable solution.  The overhead is too high, especially when
: > explaining to people what needs to be done to deploy.
:
: I think you're wrong about the overhead is too high... - but the proof
: will be in the pudding.  With installing VMware player and building
: FreeBSD on FreeBSD - all the 10,000's of docs explaining to users how
: to build will be valid.
:
: With this cross build these docs will be wrong - folks will be much more
: on their own.
:
: Beyond the docs - I think you underestimate the amount of work getting
: all the cross-tools built and installed will be.
:
: I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Yup.  The proof will be in the pudding, as they say.

Warner