Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 16:08:16 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DSL PPPoE with 2 NICs

	I'll agree with the total cost of one hour for a corporation being $100.  I
do disagree with the idea that someone would make $100/hr in take home for
something like this.  I believe the original post left that open to
interpretation, thus the disagreement.

> >	I see... so that's why so many people out there are rushing
> >to toss out
> >their FreeBSD-powered routers for pieces from our friends at
> Cisco, etc. ?
>
> Here again is an apples-to-oranges comparison.  What Anthony is comparing
> FreeBSD against is something like the $70 LinkSys DSL router, not a Cisco
> 1605 which costs almost 20 times that amount new.  But his comparisons are
> wrong for other reasons.

	Even so... when you start adding equipment from different manufacturers to
your network, your administration costs and complexity go up.  If you have a
network of FreeBSD machines, does it make sense to add a Cisco router and
learn IOS when a FreeBSD machine can do the job just as well, if not better?

--- Andy