Date:      13 Feb 2013 00:14:44 -0000
From:      Scott Ballantyne <sdb@ssr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Exporting a ntfs-3g mounted drive over NFS?

Hello,

Thanks to Dan Nelson I was able to mount my 4 TB drive using
ntfs-3g. Now I need to export it over NFS, and it doesn't work.

I'm using a bootable ZFS system, if that makes any difference. I don't
see why it should.

Basically, I can export a directory as long as a ntfs-3g filesystem is
not moutned on it. And this is also true for the kernel ntfs
system. The second a ntfs or ntfs-3g filesystem is mounted on it,
there are problems.

Here are more details:

create a directory: /var/video, set globally readable and searchable
permissions.

I create a simple entry in /etc/exports:

/var/VIDEO

I copy some files in there and HUP mountd.
I check to see that I can access the files on the clients. No
problem.

I go back, delete the files (just to be safe), and then I  mount the
ntfs-3g drive on /var/VIDEO with

ntfs-3g -o ro /dev/da0s1 /var/VIDEO

I check to see that I can see the ntfs filesystem in /var/VIDEO with
ls (I can), and all the permissions are ok (every file is rwxrwxrwx).

Then I HUP mountd. Mountd now tells me that my formerly good line in
exports is bad. I can't access the files on the clients.

I umount /var/VIDEO. I HUP mountd. All is well once again, on the
server and the clients, except I can't access the files on the ntfs
drive which I need to do.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on here, and even better, how I
might get it to work?

Thanks!
Scott
--