Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 01:06:23 -0000
From:      "fgsfgs erdfa" <siliconspectre@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   My PPP connection

Hello,
I have been trying to get ppp to work for quite some time now (about 3 weeks
if not more).  I have been having problems with ppp since I first tried it.
Well anyway, I started out using ppp with a 28.8kbps USR internal modem.
This modem worked twice for getting ppp online.  It would dial the number
and even connect to my isp's server, but then it would hangup for no reason.
  After numerous times of trying to get this modem to work, I gave up and
went out to buy a new one.  The new one I bought was a 56k USR external
modem.  I plugged it all in and when I tried to dial my isp, it told me that
the "chat script failed".  This is my current problem, getting this new
modem to work.  I would also like to add that in addition to the fact that
it tells me that the chat script has failed, I cannot hear my modem dialing
any number, even when I turn the volume all the way up, and also, at the
startup, when I use scroll-lock to look at all the devices which have been
probed, I cannot find any modem at all.  I have even went inside my computer
to check if the wires which connected my modems plug to the motherboard were
plugged in, they were.  I plug my modem into the com1 port (or cuaa0).  I
dont think there is a problem with my serial wires either.  I have a 25pin
end connecting to my USR modem and a 9pin end connecting to my computer.  I
am thinking that maybe the system is just not recognizing my modem but if
that is the case, then wouldn't it tell me that the device name cuaa0 is
invalid when I go to dial papchap?  Please, even if you do not have an
answer to my question, can you point me in the right direction to someone
who may?  I have been so eager to get my freebsd box online and I do not
want to see all the money I have paid for modems and the freebsd OS and
freebsd books go to waste.