Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:13:32 +0000
From:      "C. Ulrich" <dincht@securenym.net>
To:        jason@dictos.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crash in gui

On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 05:25, jason dictos wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>    Today my machine has locked up twice within the span of an hour, and both
> times it locked up when I clicked on a link in Gaim. The lock is hard, and
> there's no message in /var/log/messages that I can see, so my question is how
> can I debug such a problem? Where even the caps lock button no longer
> reponds?
>
> I'm using 5.1 + all security patches

It sounds like X is freezing and taking your console with it. You should
be able to log in remotely to shut down your system. Perhaps try
different versions of Gaim, X, and whatever your web browser is to see
if that makes the problem go away. You might also consider submitting a
bug report to the XFree86 project, but if you do be aware that they
probably have bug reporting procedures just like any other open source
project.

Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net