Date:      Sun, 8 Nov 1998 07:30:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/8601: krb5kdc from krb5 port bus error

>Number:         8601
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       krb5 port krb5kdc bus errror
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE i386
>Environment:

	FreeBSD cwsys 2.2.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE #0: Sat Oct 31 09:57:33 PST 1998     root@cwsys:/opt/usr_src/sys/compile/CWSYS  i386

	krb5kdc has a bus error.  Running it like,

		krb5kdc
			or
		/usr/local/krb5/sbin/krb5kdc

	causes it to fail on a bus error.

	A circumvention is:

		LD__LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/krb5/lib:/usr/lib krb5kdc

	krb5kdc works, e.g. no bus error and serves tickets, when
	compiled with virgin MIT code and also works when compiled with
	Dima Rubin's patches on burka.rdy.com.

>How-To-Repeat:

	See description.

>Fix:

	See description for circumvention.

	Altering patch-ab to sort (lorder $FILES | tsort -q) the list
        of files in the shared library has no effect on fixing the
	problem.

	patch-ab uses ld instead of cc to link.  Is it possible that
	the manner in which cc calls ld, e.g. arguments, as opposed to
	the manner used in patch-ab is responsible.  I may try to
	completely replace patch-ab with the portion of Dima Rubin's
	patch that performs the same.

	Next plan of action, will be to remove or take a look at
	patch-aa, patch-am, and/or patch-aw.