Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2003 19:52:40 -0500
From:      "Michael de Kravhens" <midekra@europe.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Audio problems with SDL games when using virtual sound chanels

I'm having trouble using applications which use sound trough SDL, especifically tuxracer-0.61, foobilliard-2.3 and gl-117-0.7 crash on startup. In fact the simple loopwa
ve demo which comes with SDL gives trouble: It runs but the sound is choppy. Otherwise sound works fine.

If I set the number of virtual chanels to 0 the demo works fine, but the games no longer work! (tuxracer works if I disable sound, there doesn't seem to be any way of di
sabling sound in the others)

At one time all these games worked. Furthermore, they worked while using virtual sound chanels but using Mesa's libraries instead of nVidia's libGL.so but in my current
configuration they don't.

Is this a known issue? and if not, where should I start looking?

% uname -smr
FreeBSD 4.7-20021204-STABLE i386

% sysctl -a hw.snd
hw.snd.targetirqrate: 32
hw.snd.report_soft_formats: 1
hw.snd.verbose: 1
hw.snd.maxautovchans: 4
hw.snd.pcm0.buffersize: 4096
hw.snd.pcm0.vchans: 4

% dmesg | grep pcm
pcm0: <VIA VT8235> port 0xd800-0xd8ff irq 5 at device 17.5 on pci0