Date:      Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:39:35 +0200
From:      Milan Obuch <ports@dino.sk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: courier mailer

On Thursday 23 June 2005 16:07, dick hoogendijk wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:53:21 +0200
>
> Milan Obuch <milan@netlabplus.sk> wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 June 2005 14:26, dick hoogendijk wrote:
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > Can someone please tell me when it will be possible again to install
> > > courier to replace sendmail?
> > >
> > > What will happen if I change the makefile in mail/courier and remove
> > > the BROKEN statement. Will it compile and install then? What file
> > > permissions exactly will be changed?
> > >
> > > And why does it take _so_ long to have courier back. Will it ever be
> > > back?
> >
> > Yes, it took long already. I was upset too and prepared my
> > personal/unofficial  0.50.0 port. It need some more polishing, but it
> > works reasonably well for me  and (hopefully) for others too. Please
> > try it. You can find it at  http://porst.dino.sk. I will try to find
> > some more time to get this PR'ed and  hopefully commited, your
> > feedback in this issue is really welcome. Regards,
> > Milan
>
> OK, not quite the answer to my question. I really would like an official
> port, but hey, it's no production server, so I guess..

Yes. Just try it.

> I take it you unpack in /usr/ports/mail and then do a "portinstall
> mail/courier-0.50.0" ?
> Install authlib first (I know ;-)

Exactly. As already mentioned - just try it, please.

> Are the other options like the old port? And what is "reasonably well"

I have no issue with it. As already mentioned in another post, other 'tester'
has no issues as well. This does not mean _you_ will not have issues, but
looks not so likely. Anyway, if you find some problems, I will be happy to
try to help you with undestanding and fixing them. My port gains more quality
and I get more confidence it is good and will try to gain 'official' status.

> And why is this very good mailer NOT supported on FreeBSD?

Well, maybe original porter lost interest in it, but most probably he just
does not have time enough to do the transition from old monolithic 0.44
version to newer. I am still not sure everything is OK, so every test, even
with problems and issues, is welcomed. Please join.

Regards,
Milan