Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 2009 21:31:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      vogelke+unix@pobox.com (Karl Vogel)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sorta newb help compiling samba

>> On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 19:49:31 -0500,
>> Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com> said:

A> A shot in dark at the problem is upgrading firefox also upgraded perl
A> from 5.8.8 to 5.8.9(possibility w/ threaded perl).

   No, I installed perl-5.8.8 by hand back when the ports version was
   somewhere around 5.8.4; this happened long before the Firefox episode.

   I've used CPAN quite a bit for modules, and I keep the basic file
   setup CPAN creates for use with non-networked systems; I have a
   short script that configures, builds, and installs perl followed
   by a specific set of modules in the right order.  All necessary
   sources are already present, so nothing has to be downloaded, and
   the only interactive parts of the installation are things like the
   termcap/terminfo modules asking you to press a key in the next 5
   seconds, etc.  This way, I get consistent versions of perl and its
   modules across all my servers, regardless of OS.

A> If some other of your apps expected perl 5.8.8 on boot and didn't find
A> then that could cause an issue similar to your description.

   I can see writing tests for a specific capability, like
     perl -e 'use enum;' 2> /dev/null

   to see if the enumerated types module has been installed, but I
   can't see a reason to require anything more specific than (say)
   "perl 5.6 or above".

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company
PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals                      --bumper sticker