Date:      Fri, 07 Sep 2018 10:39:22 +0200
From:      Dave Cottlehuber <dch@skunkwerks.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Rob Ramsay <robert.ramsay.nz@gmail.com>
Subject:   sysctls for kernel modules loaded via kld_list in rc.conf

Apologies if this is completely obvious to everybody, it certainly wasn't to me until now.

It seems that if a module (e.g. carp) is not started via /boot/loader.conf but in rc.conf via `kld_list="${kld_list} carp"`, then the /etc/sysctl.conf settings are not applied.

It's obvious (in hindsight) why this is - sysctl is started before kld is run:

$ rcorder /etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/* |egrep 'carp|kld|sysctl'
/etc/rc.d/sysctl
/etc/rc.d/kldxref
/etc/rc.d/kld

But it has caused some unexpected behaviour after rebooting, when preemption didn't work as planned.

Is this an ordering bug, or something I could improve docs for e.g. in rc.conf(5)?

A+
Dave