Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 02:27:33 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's aggressive keyboard probe/attach

Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <15222.50892.75406.972475@zircon.zircon.seattle.wa.us> Joe Kelsey writes:
> : I also second Terry's comment about 0x800.  There is no reason to add
> : yet more driver flags in order to "do the right thing".  The "do the
> : right thing" case should always be default and a flag (sysctl variable,
> : etc) should be used for those who want "the wrong thing".
>
> The main reason that it wasn't added at the time was that it was
> expensive in terms of CPU utilization, so it shouldn't be on by
> default.  There may be other reasons as well...

???

It was just recently added; I'd like to see it MFC'ed for 4.4,
but certainly, Kazu hasn't been slacking on 0x8000.

I personally don't see how it could be more costly in terms
of CPU, since it only invokes in the case of a desynchronized
mouse event coming in to the mouse driver: e.g. a failure case
that only triggers when there's bot a failure, and a monkey
on the other end of the mouse cable.  8-).

-- Terry