Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:09:05 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@freebsd.org>
Cc:        qa@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.9 RC1 (i386) now available

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 08:19:05AM -0700, Murray Stokely wrote:
> Not all FTP sites have the first release candidate, but it is at least
> available from ftp.freebsd.org.  Please download and install this
> candidate and help us find bugs BEFORE we call it 4.9-RELEASE.

<sarcasm>
You mean apart from the minor bug that non-pci kernels using ata won't even
compile, and hasn't worked for the last three weeks or so?
</sarcasm>

See

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=44649+0+archive/2003/freebsd-stable/20030928.freebsd-stable

or

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=816008+0+archive/2003/cvs-all/20030921.cvs-all

for details and a patch.

> ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.9-RC1
> ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.9-RC1-i386-disc1.iso
>
> We are particularly interested in having people test this release
> candidate on a heavily loaded system, or on large memory machines, so
> that the stability of the PAE merge can be tested.
>
> linux-netscape and acroread5 were removed from the ISO because they
> won't fit.  Suggestions about less popular packages to remove to save
> space would be appreciated.

Is there a list somewhere detailing which packages *are* included on
the ISO and thus might be considered for removal?

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson