Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 09:51:16 -0500
From:      Jerry Kendall <jerry@border.com>
To:        "Tim M. Kelley" <tkelley@cy.com>
Cc:        "Adam.Strohl." <thomas.strohl@valley.net>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Post CD-ROM Adding Of Packages

I don't know if the way I do things is correct, but, it does work for me..

mount the cdrom... Change directory to the location of the package that
you want to install, ie: To install nv-3.3B, cd to /cdrom/packages/net.
and copy the nv-3.3b.tar.gz file to /tmp, Then cd to /tmp..
Once there, run 'pkg_add nv-3.3b.tar.gz'.... It will install the package
and report if any other packages are required to run it...

Good luck...

Jerry

On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Tim M. Kelley wrote:

> At 09:49 PM 1/29/96 -0800, Adam Strohl wrote:
> >I did the original install off of the CD, and now want to add additional
> >packages
> >(such as XFree86), but when I run /stand/sysinstall and tell it to do an add
> >package
> >(using the menu) it says that it can't load the index file.  I can browse the
> >CD-Rom
> >Drive , using mount, and it seems ok from the shell, just that the install
> menu
> >doesn't see its thier I guess, please help, thanx in advance !!!!
> >
> >                       -- Adam
>
> Adam,
> Here's the way I have installed packages from the CDROM
> 1) mount the cdrom
> 2) /stand/sysinstall
> 3) set the media type to File System and use /cdrom as the fs
> 4) continue with the install
>
> Good luck,
> Tim Kelley

Any comments or opinions in this message are my own and may or may not reflect
the comments or opinions of my present or previous employers.

                    Jerry Kendall      Border Network Technologies Inc.
         System Software Engineer      Tel +1-416-368-7157 ext 303
                 jerry@border.com      Fax +1-416-368-7178