Date:      Fri, 1 May 1998 17:14:04 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: bind-8 import

On Fri, May 01, 1998 at 06:50:36PM +0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> The other possibility is to move the named executable to /usr/libexec/
> named, and make /usr/sbin/named a shell wrapper script or something that
> can detect an old-style config and do a temporary conversion with a LOUD
> warning at boot time.  This should be the least suprise option.

If /usr/sbin/named is a wrapper script, then we'd need something
like /usr/libexec/named4 and /usr/libexec/named8, so we'd have
*two* named's in the source tree. I don't like this ... although
I like your way of being friendly to the users ;-)

Generally I think people who run -current should read the lists
carefully before doing make worlds and take care of changing their
named environment. So I'd simply do the change if the others agree.

But wait ...  another good way to make migration easier without
polluting /usr/src would be to make a bind4 port.

Then people would easily be able to define this in /etc/rc.conf:

	named_enable="YES"
	named_prog="/usr/local/sbin/named4"

Just my $0.02 ;-)

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                             http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
What gives you 90% more speed, for example in kernel compilation ?