Date:      12 Jul 2000 09:29:24 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel printf %i?

Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com> writes:
> I would be pretty astonished if our kernel printf supported
> all of the libc printf options.  Most of the *NIX systems (SysV/BSD/mutants)
> I've worked on usually had a pretty stripped down version of printf
> for the kernel.

...it's not complete, and it has some stuff libc doesn't have (%b,
%D). I really miss a printf(9) man page...

Speaking of printf(), there are two things I'd like to see added:

 - in libc, a *dprintf() family similar to *fprintf() except that they
   write to a file descriptor instead of a FILE *.

 - in the kernel, the addition of %a (IPv4 address) and %A (IPv6
   address). I implemented these in a signal-safe atomic printf() I
   wrote for logging purposes a year ago or so, so I might be able to
   come up with patches.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no