Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 21:57:08 +0000
From:      Kiril Mitev <kiril@idea.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Confusion

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Dan Ts'o furiously typed away:

> 	I think it was always abundantly clear that the 3.0 release was never
> considered truly suitable for production deployment and was not a part of
> the "stable" branch. You may have chosen to use 3.0 because of its SMP
> support, but it was always considered that staying with 2.2.X for now was
> the wisest choice for production work.

I beg to disagree.

IIRC, the hype (sorry, true) was that 4.0 is the current branch &
3.* is the stable branch.... IF one were to split hairs, one could say
that when 3.0 existed, is was -current, not -stable, but I dare say
that people receiving their information from sources other than the OS
sources (1) would consider 3.* to be THE stable branch, and since
3.0 happens to match 3.*, it would be interpreted as a -stable version.
Furthermore, a CD release would (or at least SHOULD :-) be interpreted
as a -stable release...... Keith's points are absolutely valid.

> 	This may have changed somewhat with 3.1 but personally I think I
> will wait til 3.2 or so before I move off the 2.2.X branch.

Good for you. Now tell us why, please ?

> 	I'm sorry to hear that you feel a little miffed about the release
> schedule, but frankly, all things considered I don't think I would want
> them to do it any other way. I think the current release policies are
> the best balance between the new and the stable.

That's a separate issue altogether. I saw that 3.2 is promised mid-June
and I would say that this is good [TM].

** Just Another F-BSD Lamer **

--
Kiril