Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 21:11:13 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install chapter.sgml

--==_Exmh_-1631776137P

If memory serves me right, Nik Clayton wrote:
> nik         2001/08/16 09:09:17 PDT
>
>   Modified files:
>     en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install chapter.sgml
>   Log:
>   Rewrite the intro material.  Explain what partitions are.  Nuke the
>   copy that talks about view.exe, makeflp.bat, install.bat, and others,
>   because they don't exist any more.

One concern I have about the intro material (which is quite nice BTW) is
that it is now even i386-centric than the old text.  Do you think this
will be a problem?

I spent a bit of time trying to accomodate the alpha folks in
re-organizing the INSTALL.TXT file.  I was hoping that the
"Pre-Installation Tasks" section in the Handbook and Installation
document in the release documentation would be able to continue sharing
common text, but I'm not sure how hard that will be now.

I wonder if we'll wind up with entirely separate installation documents
for each architecture in the release documentation...

Cheers,

Bruce.

PS.  The organization of INSTALL.TXT is horrible, mostly from my
cut-and-paste job.  I'm going to take a shot at fixing it over the next
few days if possible.

PPS.  "All the world has to talk like 'merikans" nitpick:  s/disc/disk/.

--==_Exmh_-1631776137P

--==_Exmh_-1631776137P--