Date:      Mon, 5 May 1997 13:22:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Daniel Keller <dkeller@psln.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: setting up a network

On Sun, 4 May 1997, Daniel Keller wrote:
> where are some good resources for getting started with networking? I
> currently have 2 computers with SMC EtherEZ cards, one of the computers is
> running FreeBSD 2.2.1, the other is running FreeBSD 2.1.5. I want to

Depends on how much you want to know.  If all you need to do
is connect the two PCs /etc/sysconfig might have all you need
in the comments.  For the IP addresses use some from the reserved
blocks, 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 would be fine choices.

E.g.

network_interfaces="ed0 lo0"
ifconfig_ed0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00"
ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"

Change ed0 to the appropriate ethernet interface for your system.
The system you have PPP on already has two of these lines, just
add the ed0 (whatever) line.

That'll get the 2 PC's talking to each other.

If you want to forward packets from the PPP connection on one to the
other set gateway="YES" on the PC with the PPP connection.

Look in the handbook under "Advanced Networking" , don't let the
name scare you, for more info on gateways and routing.  The defaults
should get you running though.

If you want to understand what is going on, a good introductory
to intermediate text is TCP/IP Network Administration from
O'Reilly.

For programming you'll want UNIX Network Programming by
W. Richard Stevens, Prentice Hall.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com