Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 01:10:45 +0000
From:      mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, nate@sri.MT.net
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

> From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
> Date: Tue 25 Jun, 1996
> Subject: Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

> > Because the default object directory for joe user running make in
> > /home/joe/src/prog is /usr/obj/home/joe/src/prog.
>
> And..?  It's correct!  It's the same way it *used* to be, in fact.

What, even without /home/joe/src/obj?  How about if joe had:

    /home/joe/src/obj.i386 -> /home/joe/i386/obj
    /home/joe/src/obj.sparc -> /home/joe/sparc/obj

> Unless you by luck had your src directory *really* under /usr/src, the
> sed script which intended to strip /usr/src off always failed and
> you'd end up with /usr/obj/actual/source/path/<something>, something
> which was guaranteed in the case where you had "joe" checking out and
> building parts of his own tree.

I think I remember some implementation bugs along these lines.  That's
a far cry from being a design bug, though.

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine at Home <mailto:mv@pobox.com> <http://www.pobox.com/~mv/>;