Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 2010 20:46:22 +0100
From:      Thomas Zander <thomas.e.zander@googlemail.com>
To:        Denis Shaposhnikov <dsh@wizard.volgograd.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, FreeBSD - Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Call for testing: new mplayer and x264 port

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 20:06, Denis Shaposhnikov
<dsh@wizard.volgograd.ru> wrote:

> I've tried it and seems it works fine for me. Could you add into mplayer
> option "ASM" like for x264? I've removed "--without-sse3" and added
> "--cc=gcc44" to CONFIGURE_ARGS and mplayer works fine. It seems better
> don't use things like "USE_GCC=4.4+" because it changes CFLAGS and
> mplayer's configure script can't autodetect optimal CFLAGS for this host.

I have to admit that I am quite reluctant to do these things, first
because mplayer already has a long list of dependencies and second, it
takes me longer to test things under the various options and
circumstances.
If there is a *serious* reason to add something, of course I can do
it. In the x264 case, the reason is a tremendous performance increase
by using the ASM stuff.
But for mplayer, only a very tiny fraction of the code actually uses
ssse3. Turning off ssse3 and using the base system gcc does *not*
completely turn off asm optimisation as it does for x264. It still
uses mmx, 3dnow and sse123.
I don't even have an ssse3 machine for testing. Do you have a video
file for which decoding without ssse3 is too slow but fast enough with
it?

Riggs