Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:16:46 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Ash <omniBSD@speakeasy.net>
Subject:   Re: reading a dos cdrom with .pdf files.

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 07:50:59PM -0600, Ash wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >	People,
> >
> >	I have several CDROMS all of which seem to be DOS type.
>
> Data CDs are generally IS0-9660 with various extensions.
>

> >	At first I tried the disc in my CD player.  Nope; then
> >	in one of my 5.3 machines using mount_msdosfs.  (probably
> >	with the wrong flags, I admit.) As a last resort  I put the
>
> Wrong flags, unless the CD-ROM has a FAT/FAT32 file system (possible but
> unlikely).
>
> >	disc in my RH-8 platform intended to reboot into W2K. But
> >	a cup of coffee later I find that Red Hat had already popped
> >	up a window with the title of the disc and that it is a
> >	1.1MB pdf file.  I doubt this CDROM is a an ISO-9660
> >	(or whatever).   But it's nice that  RH knew automagically
> >	what to do with it and to pop up  the pdf reader.
>
> Why do you doubt it's ISO-9660?

		If pdf/data CDROM's--even Windows--really are
		9660's, then I stand corrected.  These discs were
		burned from a Win box.  If M$ has followed the ]
		ISO standards, this is probably the first time... .

> >	I know there is the genius in FBSD-land to do this; probably
> >	just enough not people.  My question is: what are the FBSD
>
> FreeBSD is geared to be a great server operating. The feature you want
> (auto mounting device) isn't necessarily desirable on a server. While it
> is possible to configure, it is not something that is available
> immediately "out of the box".

	Agree.  I was going to reboot the RH box into my W2K system
	to see if Windows could read the CD; surprised to find
	that GNOME had mounted and popped open a GUI app.

> I'm not saying that FreeBSD doesn't make a great desktop. IMO FreeBSD
> makes a wonderful desktop, provided you take the time to read the docs
> and configure it properly.
>
> >	commands to let me mount this disc and let me read the
> >	files to be able to point acroread at them?
> >

> This is clearly explained in the man pages as well as the handbook
> (Section 16.6.7 "Using Data CDs").
>
> Assuming that you have a /cdrom directory, are using an IDE CD-ROM drive
> and do not have atapicam(4) configured the following command should work
> for you:
>
> 	#mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom
>
> If I'm not mistaken, upon install, a /cdrom directory is created when an
> optical drive is detected (if you have multiple optical drives you also
> get /cdrom1, /cdrom2, /cdrom3 ....) and /etc/fstab is configured
> appropriately to allow you to type the following to mount your first
> optical drive on /cdrom:
>
> 	#mount /cdrom
>
> If you are using SCSI/USB/Firewire drives or IDE with atapicam(4):
>
> 	#mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0 /cdrom

	For around 8 years I stuck with SCSI; but these drives are
	ISA.  I did try mount /dev/acd0 /mnt. Thanks much for your help.
	I'll also read the handbook and put a pointer in my ~/.notes file.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix