Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 21:47:35 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, steph8@flash.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound Question

#define quoting(Luigi Rizzo)
// > At the time that the PCI/ISA probe runs, it has now way of knowing
// > whether the static configuration values that are possessed by the ISA
// > instance actually correspond to anything.  So it can't up and take it
// > away.
//
// in any case i agree that this is ugly, but I don't have a good solution
// other than to use some bit in the "flags" field to tell the driver that
// it is allowed to grab the statically configured unit number.
//
// But if this is done, i'd like to see it done consistently also for PCI
// devices, otherwise it will just add confusion.

I may be wrong, but should not the static devices be probed BEFORE
the PCI and Plug&Play ones ?  At least, PnP and PCI devices could
be changed if there is a conflict.  Also, if a static device has not
been used, PCI or PnP could use it's reference number.  Is there
something wrong with this statement ?

Other option for PnP (maybe PCI, but I have no knowledge about) would
be to transform it in a real bus, and use "pcm0 at pnp?", instead of
"pcm0 at isa?".  In the device, check to which bus it's attached, and
chose the right probes.  After this, is just a matter of changing
other devices: "sio1 at pnp?", "ed0 at pnp?", etc.

JMHO,

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br