Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 2015 17:23:41 +0200
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Chris Rees <crees@physics.org>
Cc:        arm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Cross building ports amd64/armv6

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 10:11:03AM +0000, Chris Rees wrote:
> Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> It happens on the amd64 system, in an armv6 jail.
So this sentence means that you are running not xinstall, but qemu.
Now I understand this.

> > What are the filesystem types  both for the source and destination
>  > files locations for failing install ?
>
> This is within the same filesystem- UFS.  I've discovered md has nothing to
> do with it-- UFS on ada0p4 also has the same issue, but only within the jail
> i.e. only with the armv6 (x)install binary.
>
> Doesn't happen with ZFS, even if I make a new zpool and mount it inside
> the jail.
>
> > Also, provide the ktrace -t  '+f' / kdump output for the failing
>  > install(1) run.
>
> ktrace doesn't work inside the jail of course, so I made this with:
>
> % sudo ktrace -t '+f' jexec 278 install wrkdirs/a wrkdirs/c
>
> https://www.bayofrum.net/~crees/scratch/pfault

Yes, this is what I asked.  I do not see kernel ever returning EFAULT for
some syscall, and I do not see qemu mapping either source or destination
files.

You have to find somebody who knows qemu and can interpret your
findings. It might be our kernel problem, but it may be the qemu issue,
and investigation there must start from the qemu side.

Sorry for being unhelpful.