Date:      Tue, 1 Jul 1997 00:48:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to "telnet" to a DOS pc ?

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Marco Molteni wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Although a bit off-topic, here you are my question:
>
> I'd like to be able to control (ie: executing programs on it) a
> DOS + win3.1 box (let's call it A) via another machine
> (running FreeBSD or DOS, let's call it B).

Trying to do this--talk to my office computer from home, when it
was running dos/win3.1--was a major factor in my decision to try
FreeBSD.

There are a number of software packages generally designed to be run
on both the host and the remote--PCAnywhere, LapLink, Close-UP, and
ProComm Plus ("be a host pc") are four of them.  Generally, the 3.1 box
you want to reach (the remote) has to be running the software, usually
from Windows.  Since 3.1 is such a poor multi-tasker, it often gets
hung up; and even a program with a feature to "always reboot on
disconnect" (PCAnywhere has this) will not always work.  You need to
be able to do a hard reboot (power interrupt) remotely (I never
established this capability; it was fairly expensive when I looked into
it).

It is a nightmare.

Windows 95 has much better capabilities for doing this sort of thing,
especially from NT, but I've not tried it.

Annelise