Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 1998 14:21:33 +1300
From:      Mark Ibell <marki@ihug.co.nz>
To:        Henry Hojnacki <heh@TRICOPROD.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laplink connection

Henry Hojnacki wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I have been investigating using a laplink cable to connect two of my PC systems, both running
> FreeBSD-2.1.  I have searched through man of the docs and man pages, and still have not got
> a clue if this is even possible.  It is mentioned in the install README that it can be done.
>
> The closest guess I have is to use pppd, with the device as /dev/lp0 or similar.  The
> documentation seems to imply that a serial line is required though.
>
> Can you please point me in the correct direction on where to look for how to do this?  If you
> have to tell me outright how to do it, OK, but that takes some of the fun out of it! :-)
>
> Thank you for any help you can provide!

Due to your mention of pppd I assume you mainly want to use one machine
as a gateway to the internet for the other one. For this purpose a
laplink cable works fine. Should you wish to transfer a significant
volume of files, all I can say is that you should expect some problems.
Like automatic rebooting due to page faults and such. It appears that
the lp0 driver is not that robust. I ended up buying a couple of NE2000
isa cheapies. That out of the way, here's a hint or two.

(i) ifconfig both machines to bring up the lp0 interface
(ii) configure one machine as a gateway, and set the other one up to use
this one as a default route.

Hope this helps,

  Mark