Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:34:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wierd LCD/CRT behavior on Dell Inspiron

I'm having wierd problems switching the video on my Dell Inspiron 4000
laptop from the LCD to an external monitor, which is plugged into a
"port replicator".

The system is running X 4.0.3 on 4.3-RELEASE. All is well in the "stand
alone" laptop mode.

When trying to run on the external monitor, the system will show boot
messages on the external monitor, and will be OK until X starts up. Then
the external monitor shuts down and the LCD comes back on.

I discovered that you have to open the lid of the laptop slightly, (you
can only open it about a half inch when it's in the port replicator), then
hit the LCD/CRT transfer key combination 3 times. The first time, the LCD
goes blank for about a second, and then comes right back on . The 2nd time
is the same. The 3rd time, the LCD goes blank for about 10 seconds, then
it finally switches to X and works. However, if you switch to a VTY, you
have to open the lid and do the hot-key thing 3 times again to get the
external monitor working. It will not switch at all with the lid closed.

Is there some flag I need to set in the XF86Config file? This is a royal
pain.

BTW, this is a dual-boot machine with 2K. 2K boots and stays on the
external monitor, but has the same problem switching back and forth.

I think the 3 states are suppposed to be LCD/LCD+CRT/External ?

Anyone have any ideas?

-Jim Durham