Date:      Mon, 02 Apr 2012 11:06:30 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Please help me diagnose this crazy VMWare/FreeBSD 8.x crash

On 03/30/2012 07:41, Joe Greco wrote:

>>> So you're saying that he should have been using 8.3-RELEASE, then.
>>
>> That isn't what I said at all, sorry if I wasn't clear. The OP mentioned
>> 9.0-RELEASE, and in the context of his message (which I snipped) he
>> mentioned 8-stable. That's what I was referring to.
>
> And since both the poster and I made it clear that this doesn't seem
> to be a case of "it fails reliably on a machine of your choosing",
> just installing random other versions and hoping that it's going to
> cause a fail ... well, let's just say that doesn't make a whole lot
> of sense.  Or at least it's a recipe for a hell of a lot of busywork,
> busywork not guaranteed to return any sort of useful result.

And since you can't reliably reproduce the problem, how do you expect us
to? I understand that these sorts of bugs are difficult/annoying, etc.
Been there, done that.

> In the meantime, it's unrealistic to tell people to use supported
> releases, to wait fifteen months between releases, and then to criticize
> people complaining about problems with a supported release for "using
> old code".

Just to be clear, I didn't criticize anyone. And I share your
frustration with the length of the 8.3 release cycle. I really wish I
had a better answer, but as much as you and I may wish that things were
different, "Try a newer version" is the best answer we have atm.

Doug