Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:26:23 -0500
From:      "xenophon\\+freebsd" <xenophon+freebsd@irtnog.org>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Custom Kernel for FreeBSD Installation

The issue is with the ciss(4) driver restricting the maximum number of
logical drives to 15 in order to limit the driver's memory requirements.
If I understand it correctly, the driver allocates a certain amount of
memory (under 4 GiB) for each logical drive for DMA.  If an adapter
exports more than 15 logical drives, the driver refuses to attach any of
them and logs an error message like "adapter claims to report absurd
number of logical drives (20 > 15)".  On my server, I have 20 logical
drives (20 single-disk RAID-0 arrays), so the driver won't work without
modification.

So, to close the loop on this, I modified the value of CISS_MAX_LOGICAL
in src/sys/dev/ciss/cissvar.h and ran "make buildworld buildkernel".  I
think I had to install sysutils/cdrecord as well.  Then, to create an
installation CD from the newly built world, I ran "cd release; make
cdrom -D NOPORTS -D NOSRC -D NODOC".  This last step resulted in a file
named "release.iso" in the "release" directory.  I successfully booted
the FreeBSD installer using the new image, and FreeBSD was able to
detect and attach all 20 logical drives.

Leon Kos suggested increasing the value of the CISS_MAX_LOGICAL constant
(see http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D151564&cat=3Dkern), =
but I
think a boot-time tunable is a better approach.  I'm currently testing
this out and will submit patches if successful.

Best wishes,
Matthew

--=20
I FIGHT FOR THE USERS