Date:      Wed, 2 Mar 2011 14:45:29 +0200
From:      Elias Chrysocheris <eliaschr@cha.forthnet.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS root mount problem

--nextPart4553883.QARyEz5BOi

On Wednesday 02 of March 2011 00:22:28 Patrick Gibson wrote:
> I'm installing 8.2 on a server using the instructions for ZFS root
> filesystem (http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot), and when I
> reboot after installing, it says:
>=20
> Root mount waiting for: usbus4
>=20
> followed by:
>=20
> ROOT MOUNT ERROR
>=20
> When I did the initial install, I booted using a CD, and then from the
> 8.2 livefs on a USB stick. I'm not sure where it's getting usbus4 from
> when it boots from the hard disk.
>=20
> I can't figure out where to reset this. Any pointers?
>=20
> Patrick

I think that the file zpool.cache is missing or it contains pool data comin=
g=20
from the USB stick you used. I wrote an article for this, but unfortunatell=
y=20
is in Greek... The article is here:=20
http://www.freebsdworld.gr/node/38#zpool_cache
Besides the problem that you will not understand what I write (:)) you can=
=20
follow the commands. You will probably understand what's happening there. J=
ust=20
skip the part that I cange the names of the gpt partitions (the one that I=
=20
have a bunch of "gpart modify" commands)

I hope it will be usefull to you

Regards
Elias