Date:      Fri, 04 Jun 1999 19:30:38 +0300
From:      Arabian <Arabian@DAL.NET>
To:        bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routers and such

Bruce wrote:
>If memory serves me right, Arabian wrote:
>> My server on ISP powered by FreeBSD also my own server is P II 333 with
128  >>MB SDRAM my NIC is IntelEtherExpress Pro 10/100B Ethernet FreeBSD
3.2-STABLE, >>the router where my server connected to on the ISP is also P
II  333 powered by >>FreeBSD. Could that router being problem and causing
any latency for my server >>and I should ask them toconnect it to the Core
directly ?

>I'll try to answer this, but I have to admit that I'm not completely
>understanding the situation. I think you have a server of some sort
>running FreeBSD. It sounds like it's collocated at your ISP, and you have
>another FreeBSD machine acting as a router between your server and some
>subnet that's run by the ISP.

_Very_ true, this what I'm having now. That machine acting like router
between my server and the ISP DS3s backbones and as firewall to proect the
server connected to it from attacks ICMPs ...etc. :)

>You want to know if having that router in the middle is adding excessive
>latency, and if the server should consequently be attached directly to the
ISP's >subnet. Is that right?

Right.

>Without some more details, it's difficult to answer your question. For
example, >what kind of services are you providing?

I'm runing an IRC server.

>Where are the clients?

IRC users.

>Are the networks 10Mbps or 100Mbps?

100 Mpbs Full Duplex.

>Is the router doing anything other than routing packets?

Just routing packets, and as firewall to proect the server connected to it
from attacks ICMPs ...etc.

>What other hosts are the networks on each side of your router?

I'm not sure I nderstand this.

>Why is the router there in the first place?

They are using software to control the bandwidth usage this is the reason, my
server has dedicated10 Mbps.

>The big questions: Do you think you are actually experiencing any
erformance >problems, and if so, could you quantify this? If I understand
our environment >correctly, I think that having the router in between
houldn't be a problem at >all for you. For sake of argument, if your server
is serving Web pages to random >clients on the Internet, it's a fair guess
that there's going to be a lotmore  >latency between the clients and your
ISP than there's going to be through your  >router. (For something to try,
login to your server and ping random hosts on  >the Internet, observing the
round-trip time statistics. Then login to your >router and do the same.
Compare the round-trip times in both cases.)

There is no performance problem actually, I just wanted to make sure I wont
have it on the future, avoiding the problem before it happenes better than
solving it after problems jumped. :)

> What is the different between half and full duplex lans ? In the context
>of full-duplex vs. half-duplex 10baseT or 100baseTX Ethernet: In
>half-duplex, only one system on a cable can be transmitting a packet at a
>time. In the common case of a host attached to a hub, this means that the
>host can only either be transmitting a packet or receiving a packet but not
>both. This situation is analogous to the original thick and thin
Ethernets, >which were long coaxial cables. Access to transmit on the
cables was (is) shared >between all the attached hosts. An important part
of the Ethernet standard is >the algorithm by which hosts contend for
access to this shared network. With >Ethernet switches, you have the option
of full-duplex Ethernet transmission. >This basically means that a host can
be both transmitting a packet and receiving >a packet on the cable at the
same time.

Great information they changed it to _Full_ Duplex now, per my request.

>Hope this helps...

Well, actually you gave me alot of information, very useful, and you are big
help. *smile*

Waiting to hear from you again, thanks alot for your time. :)

>Bruce.

Sincerly,

-Arabian aka Abdullah

Admin arabian.ca.us.dal.net
http://www.dal.net/
http://users.dal.net/
Try /server irc.dal.net 7000

           ,,))))))));,    DALnet West Coast Routing Server
          ()))))))))))))),     A R A B I A N . D A L . N E T