Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:01:03 -0000
From:      Mike Dewhirst <Dewhirst.M@UCLES.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   security and preventive measures

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1BBB1.BF3FA7B0

what good standard security tools are there out there that a security
concious admin should install?

I've heard of trip wire, but if I understand correctly, you need physical
access to the box to have the database off-line?

I'm mostly after break-in detection, comporomisation (like sshd, etc.)
detection..

Thanks in advance for any advice.

@

=**********************************************************

If you are not the intended recipient, employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this communication and its attachments is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication and its attachments in error, please return the original message and attachments to the sender using the reply facility on e-mail.

Internet communications are not secure and therefore the UCLES Group does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the UCLES Group unless otherwise specifically stated.

MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses although this does not guarantee that this email is virus free.

**********************************************************=

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1BBB1.BF3FA7B0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>security and preventive measures</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>what good standard security tools are there out there tha=
t a security concious admin should install?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I've heard of trip wire, but if I understand correctly, y=
ou need physical access to the box to have the database off-line?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I'm mostly after break-in detection, comporomisation (lik=
e sshd, etc.) detection..</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks in advance for any advice.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>@</FONT>
</P>

<CODE><FONT SIZE=3D3><BR>
<BR>
=3D**********************************************************<BR>
<BR>
If you are not the intended recipient, employee or agent responsible for de=
livering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified tha=
t any dissemination or copying of this communication and its attachments is=
 strictly prohibited.<BR>
<BR>
If you have received this communication and its attachments in error, pleas=
e return the original message and attachments to the sender using the reply=
 facility on e-mail.<BR>
<BR>
Internet communications are not secure and therefore the UCLES Group does n=
ot accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.  Any views=
 or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessaril=
y represent those of the UCLES Group unless otherwise specifically stated.<=

<BR>
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by<BR>
MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses although this does not gua=
rantee that this email is virus free.<BR>
<BR>