Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:23:52 +0100
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        tonylabarbara@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My Rebuild Problem

tonylabarbara@aol.com wrote:
> Hi:
> I wrote earlier, got one response. It was way off course, so I´m rewriting. No, I can rebuild X11 if I can solve the following problem:
>
> Strange problem here. /usr/local got wiped for no reason I can think of. Everything. Nothing there at all. I can´t
> even change the pw. Nothing on this build anyway. But went to rebuild (6.2) and
> got caught in a loop -- note, that´s a loop -- in these steps:
> -- Select Drive
>
> -- FDISK Partition Editor ("Q")
>
> -- Install Boot Manager
>
> I would prefer to rebuild (note: rebuild) because I want to add X Windows (that´s ADD X) and I´d rather not
> have to rebuild the kernel. How can I wipe the drive? If I cannot rebuild, can I
> just add the ports? What about changing pw?

1) I'm not sure what you mean about "rebuild" - I wouldn't ever need
fdisk or install boot manager for that - are you reinstalling? Are you
using sysinstall for recovery?

2) Are you having an error that gets you into single user or similar?
Maybe you can't change the password because your root partition is
mounted read only.

Post the output of this command:

# mount

For example, when my root partition is read-only, I get
/dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local, read-only)

and also post output from,

# df

Cheers, Erik