Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 21:29:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Hechinger <wonko@users.tmok.com>
To:        kstewart@3-cities.com (Kent Stewart)
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, dgilbert@velocet.ca, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Worst case swapping.

Kent Stewart drunkenly mumbled...

> Netscape reallys goes to pot in a hurry if you allow it to use more
> than 1-2MB of memory cache. A friend was seeing a terrible response
> and tracked it back to Netscape's memory cache. He had a lot of memory
> and started out with something on the order of 16MB. By the time he
> was satisfied he was allowing less than ~2MB of memory cache, which is
> all I had ever allowed it to use.

i never screwed with the memory cache, but i've seen some pretty heavy memory
leakage with navigator.  how long have you had netscape running?  an hour, a
day, a week?  my experience (it seems to have gotten better lately since the
upgrade to 4.0 however) has seen starting size 16M, ending size 172M, running
time of 13 days.  of course, the fact that netscape actually ran for 13 days
without crashing is a bit of a miracle itself.  :)

cheers,

-brian