Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 2004 09:55:04 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        Tuc at Beach House <tuc@tucs-beachin-obx-house.com>
Cc:        Tuc at Beach House <tuc@ttsg.com>
Subject:   Re: sdpcontrol issues (LONG)

Tuc at Beach House wrote:
>>yes, that is the code from linux-bluez that i ported long time ago. it
>>should have both sdpd and spdtool. these are similar to sdpd(8) and
>>sdpcontrol(8).
>>
> 	Seems to be. :)

>>how about add LAN, OPUSH etc. i.e. more services? stacks generally do
>>not use 'browse' command, but rather looking for a specific service. btw
>>did you try to use 'sdptool' (from sdp-1.5 package) command against
>>treo? did it work?
>
> 	Now Winderz sees it. Maybe it was a bit SLOW. But against the
> Treo is nothing.

fine. well, at this point i'm starting to suspect treo sdp
implementation. sdpcontrol(8) and sdptool are two different pieces of
code. i'm very interested in hcidump output when you use sdptool to
query treo.

>>>	I do attempt to access it from the Treo, and it seems to trigger
>>>sdpd, but I'm not sure what the next step its supposed to do is.
>>
>>the way it should work is:
>>
>>1) client (treo) discovers server (laptop)
>>2) client makes a sdp request to figure out what services host provides
>>3) client gets parameters for the desired service via sdp
>>4) client starts using the service.
>
> 	I had to configure pppd and rfcomm_pppd and a few other things, and
> its been running all day.

ah, ok. so, you are saying treo *can* connect to your laptop via
bluetooth and you can browse on treo? or you can connect windows box to
your laptop via bluetooth and can browse on windows?

another thing about sdp-1.5 - its not integrated with other tools
(rfcomm_pppd for example) and thus you have to *manually* add sdp
records into the database (via 'sdptool register'). you also have to run
service daemon (such as rfcomm_pppd) with the parameters you put into
the sdp database. for example if you register lan service on rfcomm
channel 1 then you *must* run rfcomm_pppd on rfcomm channel 1.

in 5.3 and later sdp(8) is integrated with all tools, so all you need to
do is to run sdp(8) in background and then all tools will register
service automatically as they start. you do not have to add/delete
records manually anymore.

>>>	Am I pushing my luck?
>>
>>no, it should work
>>
> 	And now it does via the FreeBSD, thank you Max!

good :)

thanks,
max