Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2004 20:41:22 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Most wanted

[only follow up to chat, please]

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Daniela wrote:

> It would be faster to write and maintain (at least for most people), but it

It is faster to write and maintainable (full stop).

> would not run faster. C is fine for projects other than fast, small
> libraries. I also like shellscript, but only if speed and size are not
> critical.

Whetever it would run faster or not is in *MOST* cases not even debatable
- in most cases, the compiler will generate faster code. Also, when say
using SSE2 for fp becomes faster than x87 fp, you can simply recompile,
instead of having to re-write your code. If your asm is good, it is going
to be scheduled for the processor - again, in some time there will be new
processors for which fats code is scheduled differently.

> I have not even written a million code lines yet, as I'm only 16 years old and
> have one and a half year of programming experience. But I love that low-level
> stuff so much that I already think in ASM.

See, in 3 years you are probably 2x as good as you are now at
understanding of how computers work, what makes something fast (or not)
than now. Most of the asm code will in the process turn out to be not
worth the bother, while some of C might be salvagable, esp glue.

If you haven't managed to become at least 2x as good as you are now in 3
years, then i'm afraid not many people wil worry what you write code in