Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 17:53:37 -0700
From:      Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   security and firewall

I have a fbsd 4.0 box running nothing but natd/ipfw, and it appears to be
fairly secure - I ran nmap against it from another fbsd box outside my
network and it shows only the sunrpc port 111 open. I have added to my ipfw
rules a rule that explicity denies port 111. I have also disabled inetd and
yet get the following udp ports showing as open -  111, 514, 520.

Now my question - Just what can I do to tighten my security? To make sure my
machine isn't used as a relay, or just general protection? Is there some web
pages that cover this basic security stuff someone can point me to?

--
Chip W.