Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 08:58:29 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Mark Evenson" <evenson@panix.com>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: apm on an IBM ThinkPad A30

I would hazard a guess and say it's broken on the Txx series too -- I've got
a T23 that I'm only running -CURRENT on (hence I'm using ACPI, not APM), but
enabling ACPI promptly panics the machine.

I imagine that if I were to downgrade this system to -STABLE, I'd see the
very same things that everyone else is seeing.

--
Matt Emmerton

"Mark Evenson" <evenson@panix.com> wrote in message
> The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
> that has been posted to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc as well.
>
> Sebastian Benner <benners@bonsai.fernuni-hagen.de> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am facing problems with apm on an IBM ThinkPad A30 . Apm works as far
as
> > the battery status is concerned. Suspend mode lets the display switch
off
> > but not come back. Anyone else having this problem?
> >

> My IBM Thinkpad X20 exhibits the same symptoms.  There was a recent spate
> of postings on freebsd-stable [[1]] regarding similar problems with an IBM
> Thinkpad R32.  The problem was eventually diagnosed as badly initilized
> data structures and fixed to the satisfication of the reporting user with
a patch to
> sys/dev/ata/ata-all.c [[2]], but it does not work for me.
>
> Even with this patch applied, my system will always eventually hang on
> resume.  "Eventually" as it seems to "sometimes" work once (a
> suspend/resume cycle), but never twice.  This is the same behavior as when
> I run unpatched STABLE.
>
> I am trying to get a satisfactory kernel trace to follow up with the
proper
> "authorities", but don't seem to produce a panic when the "options DDB" is
> compiled into the kernel.  With "options DDB" compiled in, the resulting
> backtrace seemingly has nothing to do with APM events.  I have read the
> sections of the FAQ and Developer's guide but as I am rather new to kernel
> deugging, I would appreciate any further source of information that the
> kind public can provide.  (Like why neither ALT-SHIFT-ESC nor CTRL-BREAK
> drop the system into DDB?)  Fsck'in my 20GB disk between crashes makes the
> going rather slow--and me rather nervous--as this system is my only
> computer these days.
>
> Some more details about my hardware/software:
>
>         o  suspend/resume has not worked since I got this Thinkpad in
>            mid-2001
>
>         o  I am currently running BIOS 2.22 (IZET9AWW) and BIOS controller
>            version v1.36 (the latest as of October 2002).  Various
previous
>            BIOS revisions have also failed to work for me.
>
>         o  For my this round of testing, my /usr/src tree is a frozen
>            20021125 STABLE
>
> I wonder if suspend/resume is generally broken across the post-2000
> (Xnn,Rnn,Ann) Thinkpad series on STABLE?
>

> [[1]]
<URI:http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=702426+0+/usr/local/www/db
/text/2002/freebsd-stable/20021117.freebsd-stable>

> [[2]]
<URI:http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=495700+0+/usr/local/www/db/
text/2002/freebsd-stable/20021124.freebsd-stable>