Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 19:34:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mi@aldan.algebra.com
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        andreas@freebsd.org, ghost@aladdin.com
Subject:   GhostScript and JPEG

It appears, that the only thing, that makes it necessary for GS to build
its own static version of JPEG library is the value of

	D_MAX_BLOCKS_IN_MCU

To read some JPEGs embedded in some PS files, GS needs this to be set as
64, while the default libjpeg compiles this as 10.

I'm wondering, if we should just  make our graphics/jpeg port build with
the define set to 64 and make GS use the shared -ljpeg.

This would increase the size of some arrays (of pointers or of integers)
from 10 to  64 -- con. On  the pro -- faster port  build, faster startup
usually, since libjpeg is so widely used already.

Any comments? Thanks!

	-mi