Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 2003 02:02:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Wehle <john@feith.com>
To:        robert@fledge.watson.org
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.9 Hauppauge PVR-250 / 350 Driver Patch

> I noticed from the original post that some firmware magic is required.
> Will we need to distribute firmware files, and if so, what sort of
> licensing implications are there?

The firmware is in the Microsoft Windows drivers supplied with the
board.  Included with the FreeBSD driver is a utility to extract a
copy of the firmware from the Microsoft Windows driver so the FreeBSD
driver can download it to the board during startup.

Ideally the FreeBSD driver distribution should include a version of
firmware, however I haven't gotten around to talking to Hauppauge
about the licensing issues.  I also want to see if they can supply
some pointers regarding programming the board to encode VBI information
(currently the FreeBSD driver throws away the VBI information).

Anyone have contacts at Hauppauge they care to share or contact on my
behalf?

-- John
|   Feith Systems  |   Voice: 1-215-646-8000  |  Email: john@feith.com  |
|    John Wehle    |     Fax: 1-215-540-5495  |                         |