Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2000 06:45:09 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Bob" <bob@home.windsong.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Bob" <bob@home.windsong.net>
Subject:   Re: weird problems

Been there done that but I would have thought that US phone lines were
of decent
quality instead of the "barbed fencing wire strung between trees" type
we have in OZ :)
When people complain about weird data transmission issues here our
local phone
company Tel$tra always trots out the standard line "we only guarantee
data transmission
to 2400bps" so one has to have connections there to get anywhere. I've
had a LONG
history of complaining about problems there, starting with the
erstwhile Frank Blount
(ex AT & T)  when he was CEO of Tel$tra, so now I at least know the
ropes .... anyway
to cut a long story short there are two really common issues we find
here in OZ

The most common is the "zellweiger" tone injected into the power
cables to allow remote
control of the off-peak relays for stuff like hot water systems. Many
of the phone & power
cables here are installed in close proximity so induction is a real
problem. A variation of the
induction issue is found where phone lines are close to the high
voltage supply for electric
trains ... although it appears this is only a problem in certain
states (poor shielding or
something I guess). The problem typically occurs on the hour or half
hour, is simple to test,
and can be resolved by use of a special filter.

A second problem area is intermittent high resistance in local phone
cables .... possibly a very
old cable thats been subjected to stress / damaged insulation. This
can be extremely difficult
to locate as one can guarantee that the problem won't surface when its
tested, and for that matter
the standard testing procedures used in OZ are designed for voice
transmission, not data.
Judging from the symptoms you have reported, it sounds very similar to
a number of instances
here where the phone wires themselves were eventually found to be the
cause ..... there are
diagnostic tests that can be used to test data transmission on PSTN
cables, but Tel$tra keeps
them a very well kept secret here unless a subscriber really screams
the roof down.