Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 20:14:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>, Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: docs/38225: change "CDROM" to "CD-ROM"

> State-Changed-From-To: closed->open
> State-Changed-By: trevor
> State-Changed-When: Tue Jul 16 16:43:06 PDT 2002
> State-Changed-Why:
> With the patch accompanying this PR, I proposed to change
> doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/writing-style/chapter.sgml .
> The fact that the patch has not yet been applied is IMO not a valid
> reason for closing the PR.

Before I submitted this PR, I was advised in a private e-mail that I
should "launch a campaign to change the word-list of the FDP."  If this PR
is not the proper way to do so, please let me know what the procedure is.
My correspondent told me that the existence of Walnut Creek CDROM was a
factor in the choice of "CDROM" over "CD-ROM."  A (probably related)
factor was that "CDROM" already outnumbered "CD-ROM," so it was easier to
change to the incorrect spelling.  With the company's unfortunate demise,
the decision should be reconsidered.

Oftentimes, words are intentionally misspelled (for example "EZ,"
"Cheez," or "Wip") in order to make a trademark more enforceable.
Perhaps that happened here.
--
Trevor Johnson