Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2006 14:39:00 -0600
From:      Martin Jackson <mhjacks@swbell.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   6.1-BETA4 installation report

Greetings,

First of all, thanks for all the hard work that's gone into the 6.1
release process so far.

Today, I tried doing a binary upgrade of 6.1-PRERELEASE (cvsup'ed about
a week ago) to 6.1-BETA4.  It's really old hardware, a PII 333Mhz.

I don't know if what I tried to do is even supported, so I haven't filed
any PR's yet.

I ran into two issues:

1)  The upgrade errored out almost immediately on /var/empty, since it
had been chflags'ed to nschg.  I went to the shell and chflags'ed that
off, and upgrade continued.

2)  The 'kernels' distribution wasn't installed at all, which led loader
to complain upon reboot.  I had an old kernel installed, so I booted
from that and used sysinstall to install GENERIC.  I also had to change
loader.conf to reference 'kernel="GENERIC"'.  Is this the preferred way
to do it, or should I move 'GENERIC' to 'kernel'?

thanks,
Marty