Date:      24 Aug 2002 21:26:30 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@Demon.vickiandstacey.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   mod_auth_db dir protection and apache

--=-FBGIGRAV5H2XsTR1bCcC

Hello,
     I'm trying to protect a dir using the mod_auth_db authentication
method with the latest apache-1.3. The actual dir contains the data logs
from webalizer ( that's got its own index.html file). Here's what I've
done (from http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/auth.html#authdbconfig):

Created the user file and test user
Created the .htaccess file and placed it in the dir under the
DocumentRoot dir

However, I find that I can simply type the full path to the "protected
dir's index.html file, and it still loads without prompting me for a
password.

From the above apache doc page, I couldn't have thought that this could
be any easier, but have I missed something here? Where have I gone wrong
over the few lines of instructions? Someone please help me.

Thanks
Stacey
--=20
Stacey Roberts