Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2005 09:17:21 -0500
From:      M <m@obmail.net>
To:        RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <maillist@computerking.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: failover for http

On Jan 7, 2005, at 5:17 AM, RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good package or howto that covers the failover
> topic??  I have found lots of stuff on google but hard to know if
> these progs do what i need.   There has to be something in the ports
> that archive this spread with wackmole maybe seems very complex and
> not even sure it will suit my needs???
>
> I have 2 server in different locations with different ip's is it
> possible to have these servers back each other up?  I have read ip on
> the cheap from the Unix hacks book but it does not seem to cover the
> different location and ip issue.
> Please a point in the right direction would be great.

The best solutions for this are based on your switching hardware which
will integrate with your DNS. Foundry has a feature of some products
called GSLB (Global Server Load Balancing?), but that's not going to
happen on the cheap. There are several patent issues to deal with in
creating something to do that which may be why no one has built similar
features in to PF or IPF