Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2000 17:00:42 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        bpechter@shell.monmouth.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JFS and IBM

At 2:57 PM -0500 2/4/00, Bill Pechter wrote:
>Folks, while some of us were at Linux expo talking about journaling
>file systems and *BSD, IBM released jfs to the GPL.
>
>Is there anyone working on this as a gpl'd add-in to *BSD?

People outside the expo heard about it too, and there has been an
active thread in hackers about this already.  Review that thread,
so we don't have to go over all the same comments again.  There
is also something about it at http://daily.daemonnews.org/, which
had some interesting pointers.

>Is this as much of a surprise to all of you as to me... I thought jfs
>would remain a tightly held OSF/1 component that would never see
>"free" status.

Actually it didn't surprise me too much.  IBM realizes it makes it's
money in selling hardware and services.  They don't have a whole lot
to lose by making this JFS source code available, and they might have
a fair amount to gain, as they position themselves as a good company
to contact for "linux support services".

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute