Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 04:58:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        JOHN <JSINNOTT@POMONA.EDU>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to change default shell?

On Tue, 2 Jan 1996, JOHN wrote:

> I can't find a usermod command, so first I tried directly editing the
> /etc/passwd file.  But that did not work, so I then tried editing the
> /etc/master.passwd file as well (should this be done?)  I just want to have
> bash as the default shell rather than csh, but even with these fields changed,
> csh remains the default.
>
> Also, what is the purpose of the master.passwd file?  Is it just to implement
> password shadowing?

NEVER edit any password files directly.  YOu should always use the "vipw"
command.

Master.passwd is the master password file ,literally.  It contains all
the encrypted passwords.  /etc/passwd is automatically created FROM
master.passwd, and it has "*" instead of the encrypted password.  This is
so that some Joe Cracker-type dude can't read /etc/passwd and have
everybody's encrypted passwords to play around with.  (master.passwd is
accesssable to root only)

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 / FAX 564-2315 / WWW http://www.geopages.com/WallStreet/2072
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or on Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **