Date:      Fri, 17 May 2013 19:01:48 -0400
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Port: U-Boot for BeagleBone

--Apple-Mail=_5067653B-79DB-4003-A5BA-4E9E4B44DE79

On May 17, 2013, at 5:20 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> ... so how do I do a userland build of a bootloader? :-)

> Does crochet have extra stuff in it to build ports with alternate
> roots and install-as-user options set? Or does it now require you have
> them installed before you can build images?

This is still pretty experimental, so feel free to chime
in with better ideas.

My thinking right now is essentially that:

 * Port/package creates =
/usr/local/share/u-boot/u-boot-beaglebone/<files>
 * Crochet uses these files when it builds the image

So yes, the port or package containing the boot bits
would be a prerequisite.  For the interim, this is not
much worse than the current "you have to download
the source and run crochet as root."

This is basically driven from the observation that Crochet's
current logic to build a boot loader contains essentially
the same information (place to download source, patches, etc)
that go into a FreeBSD port.  So it avoids a chunk of duplication
to make the boot loader builds be ports.

I haven't thought through the non-root build case yet:

Obviously, once the port/package is installed, using it
as a non-root user is no problem.   I suspect this is the
common case.

Building/installing the port as a non-root user should
be feasible, but I haven't tinkered with that yet.

Downloading/installing the package as a non-root user
may also be feasible.

Any suggestions?

Tim

> Thanks,
>=20
>=20
> adrian
>=20
>=20
> On 17 May 2013 14:08,  <gnn@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> At Fri, 17 May 2013 13:41:33 -0700,
>> hiren panchasara wrote:
>>>=20
Crochet and into FreeBSD ports.
for patiently tutoring me through this):