Date:      Wed, 05 Jan 2011 18:34:54 -0400
From:      Chris Forgeron <cforgeron@acsi.ca>
To:        Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ZFS - moving from a zraid1 to zraid2 pool with 1.5tb disks

Yup, but the second set (stripe of 2 raidz1's) can achieve slightly better performance, particularly on a system that has a lot of load. There's a number of blog articles that discuss that in more detail than I care to get into here.
Of course, that's a bit of a moot point, as you're not going to heavily load a 9 drive system, like a 48 drive system, but..

In that example, the first (raidz2) would be a bit more safe as it could take 2 drives failing. The latter (2 raidz1's) would die if those two failing drives are within 1 raidz1 vdev.

It all comes down to that final decision on how much risk do you want to take with your data, what your budget is, and what your performance requirements are.

I'm starting to settle into a stripe of 6 vdevs that are each a 5 disk raidz1, with two hot-spares kicking about, and a collection of small SSD's adding up to either 500G or 1TB of SSD L2ARC. A bit more risk, but I'm also planning on having an entirely redundant (yet slower) SAN device that will get a daily ZFS send, so my worst nightmare is yesterday's data - Which I can stand.

Oh - I am also a fan of buying drives at different time periods or from different suppliers.. I have seen entire 4 and 8 drive arrays fail within a month of the first drives going. Always really fun when you were too slack to handle the first drive failure, the second one put you in a tight spot the next week, and then the third one dies while you're madly trying to do data recovery.. :-)

Really, in a big enough array, I like to swap out older drives for newer ones every now and then and repurpose the old - Just to keep the dreaded complete failure at bay. Things you learn to do with cheap SATA drives..